The 2018 pastured pork is in!
2018 versus 2017:
- Same breeder: I much prefer the conditions in which this breeder raises the pigs. They all get plenty of daylight, plenty of straw bedding, and the nursing sows and piglets can see the rest of the herd for better socialization.
- Similar breed: since this breeder raises robust crossbreeds every year the mix of breeds is a bit different.
- Same butcher: All smoked products (e.g. bacon, hams) are smoked with real cherry wood for a lighter less-salty flavour that lets the meat shine through more. Cuts are vacuum packed and labelled.
- Pre-orders: This year I solicited pre-orders from past customers. All ribs, fresh chops, pork belly, and tenderloins sold out in pre-orders. In 2019 I intend to solicit pre-orders in February.
- New products for 2018:
- Ham steaks: at 3/4" to 1" thick and just over 1 kg each, you can have the flavour of ham without the large quantities or cooking times.
- Lard is now available for sale in tubs of a bit less than a pound. Lard is shelf-stable for months and is the secret ingredient of many an award-winning pastry recipe.
- Most pricing is unchanged at $8 to $10 per pound with 10% volume discount for orders of 20 to 50 pounds and a 20% discount for orders over 50 pounds.
- Sausages and ground pork have been increased from $8/pound to $9/pound.
- Smoked hocks have been increased from $5/pound to $6/pound.
Everything is gluten-free, vacuum-packed and frozen solid.
Why the premium pricing?
Our pigs were pastured with an organic ration supplemented by some of our certified organic veggies. That organic ration costs about double the conventional ration, but it excludes medications (80% of the antibiotics used in North America are fed to meat animals), pesticide residues, and residual feed streams (like manure, feathers, and pork meal (eww!)).
NO chemicals in their feed or bedding (just a little sanitizer for the stables after last year's pigs). NO GMOs or animal by-products in their feed. NO antibiotics or hormones.
Our pigs ate, slept and played with the sun on their backs and the breeze in their hair. This takes more equipment, skill, and time than just raising them in the dark on bare concrete or metal slats (which is how most store-bought pork is raised).
No fillers in the sausages or ground pork -- just meat, spices, and sometimes a little water -- so they are gluten-free.
- Hams: unsmoked (A.K.A. pork leg roast) or smoked (A.K.A. regular ham) both bone-in. Each ham weighs about 5 pounds.
- Roasts: bone-in picnic and shoulder (A.KA. butt) roasts. We also have bone-in roasts from the rear leg (A.K.A. unsmoked hams). Each roast weighs about 5 pounds.
- Ground pork in one pound packages.
- Sausages: mild Italian sausage and smoked garlic sausages all in one pound packages. Sausages come three per package.
- Bacon: sliced (A.K.A. regular, side) bacon, Bacon comes sliced. Priced by package weight since they are between 300g and 500g per package.
- Roasts: boneless loin roasts weigh about 3 pounds each.
- Chops: smoked centre-cut loin chops (A.K.A. quick'n'easy smoked chops). Two per package. Each package weighs about 1.5 pounds.
$6/pound: smoked hocks. These are good cuts for lentil soup, French Canadian pea soup, or collard greens or kale braised in the styles of Germany or the Southern U.S.
$4/pound: lard. Lard is now available for sale in tubs of a bit less than a pound. Lard is shelf-stable for months and is the secret ingredient of many an award-winning pastry recipe.
Sorry, already sold out of back bacon, peameal bacon, back ribs, regular (side) ribs, pork belly, butt (shoulder) chops, fresh loin chops, California rolls, and tenderloins.
20% off on orders of more than 50 pounds.
10% off on orders of 20 to 50 pounds.
Some folks have sensitivities or preferences for certain ingredients. Just so you know what you are getting, the ingredients lists for all our pork products are below. All of them are 100% gluten-free and produced in government-inspected facilities. All our pork products have the ingredients printed on the label.
Anything that isn't smoked or cured is just pork: belly, fresh chops, ground pork, ribs, roasts, and tenderloins. Ingredients for our other pork products are listed alphabetically by product below.
Back Bacon: pork, water, salt, spices, sugar, sodium nitrites, natural smoke.
Sliced (A.K.A. Side, Regular) Bacon: pork, water, salt, sodium phosphate, sugar, sodium nitrate, spice, sodium erythorbate, natural smoke.
California Roll (A.K.A. Black Forest Ham): pork, water, salt, sodium phosphate, sugar, sodium nitrate, spice, sodium erythorbate, natural smoke.
Smoked Chops (A.K.A. Quick 'n' Easy Chops): pork, water, salt, sodium phosphate, sugar, sodium nitrate, spice, sodium erythorbate, natural smoke.
Regular Ham: pork, water, salt, sodium phosphate, sugar, sodium nitrate, spice, sodium erythorbate, natural smoke.
Ham Steaks: pork, water, salt, sodium phosphate, sugar, sodium nitrate, spice, sodium erythorbate, natural smoke.
Smoked Hock (smoked shanks have the same label and process): pork, natural smoke.
Lard: pork fat.
Mild Italian Sausages: pork, water, salt, spices, herbs.
Smoked Garlic Sausages: pork, water, salt, spices, garlic granules, natural smoke.